Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Help – my cabbages have no hearts!

P1010086 As can be seen from the photograph, there’s lots of lovely, large outer leaves but nothing firming up in the centre. They’re Savoy cabbages and they have been in the garden for a few months now but the inner circle of leaves are just loose.

Does this mean that they are never going to firm up? I will soon need the space for summer veggies but the cabbages look so healthy I’m putting off pulling them all up yet. The chooks love them as they have already had a few that have gone to seed and I will keep others for seed later, but I’d really like to have a good cabbage on my plate!

If they don’t get firmer can I just use the leaves as they are? (Boy that shows that I still have a lot to learn about gardening – and cooking!).

Any tips and hints will be greatly appreciated.

Jan

No comments:

Post a Comment