Monday, December 6, 2010

It’s slowly happening

       growinghouse                                                       growinghouse2

         

Over the past week M has only been able to spend a few hours working on the new grow house. We are now at the point that the plastic can be placed carefully over the top. This is the part that I am definitely not looking forward to – we will have to ensure that it is not a windy day and try and get it as taut as possible before it is stapled to the wooden battens. Then I will be able to plant my eggplants in the warmth of the tunnel.

Meanwhile, I dug up 20 of my garlic this morning as they looked pretty ready, and one beetroot. I have never grown either before and I am very happy with the results so far. I do have about another forty garlic to go but I will leave them a bit longer as they are a different variety and need to grow a bit more. I’m leaving the rest of the beetroot too – I was just impatient with the one below. It’s a Chioggia beetroot and I hope that it has the telltale stripes.

beetroot I have also taken the rest of my tomatoes out of the cold frame to harden up a little before planting.

tomatoesoutofcoldframe

And now it’s back outside to plant some beans.

Jan

4 comments:

  1. What fabulous tunnels they'll be. I will have to try and think of a way to protect my sensitive plants when I move south. Are your tank beds, wicking beds?

    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Deb

    no wicking beds, we had excess soil which is very good here. I'll only have the one tunnel but I think that should be enough - to start with. Perhaps when you move south you'll have a tunnel in the garden? But Hobart is a pretty good climate, it doesn't get as cold as down here. When do you think you'll move?
    Jan

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would move tomorrow but work committments have us caught up for a couple more years at least. I would really love to try to grown sweet potato here as well as watermelon, I know there is a cool weather variety called Sugar Baby but I have never seen them anywhere to buy. Are you further south than Dover?

    ReplyDelete
  4. No, that's where I live, in Dover. I've only gor the cool weather rock melon waiting for the grow house, no watermelon.

    ReplyDelete