Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Showing Off!

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

Here it is on November 9th 2011 – my first tomato in the grow house this year.

This version is called Wild Currant and is smaller than cherry tomatoes (well mine are) but so incredibly sweet the kids eat them like lollies.

I left two of these plants in the grow house over winter, just chopped them right back and lo and behold they grew up again and flowered. It was all an experiment to see what I could do under cover in Tasmania.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

Here is the first capsicum too. Very small but hopeful of bigger things to come.

And the Tahitian Limes are coming on strong too. OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

So I’m feeling quite hopeful for this year……

Jan

2 comments:

  1. That is really interesting that the tomato plants survived the winter undercover but still. I have overwintered capsicums and chillies successfully in the open but if I'm honest I've never had a tomato plant that looked happy enough far enough into autumn to see how long it would last. When was this one planted?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Liz,
    it would have been planted, as a seedling, in December 2010 and we had masses of tomatoes off the plant. I basically cut it back to main stems over winter and when it started to flower again was pleasantly surprised. However, once we had eaten all the red tomatoes, and there's been quite a lot again, it has now definitely died right back. So there won't be another year from the same plant. The capsicum is still going though and looking good.

    Jan

    ReplyDelete